Forget the parrots and the eyepatches, you know what every sea faring pirate really needs? A telescope! How else will he spot his treasure island from afar?!
This make is super quick and easy and uses our favourite household craft item, the cardboard loo roll tube. We’ve previously shown you how you can use them to make a racetrack game and a cardboard critter, so now prepare for the next item in your repertoire…
You will need:
3 loo roll tubes
brown and gold paint
felt tip pens
white tissue or tracing paper
- Cut a tube all the way down lengthways and roll it back up so that it fits into one of the other tubes.
- Tape the overlapping sides together so it remains it’s new, smaller size.
- Then take the remaining tube and repeat the steps, so that it fits inside the smaller tube you just made.
- Glue each roll in place, one inside the other, so you have your basic telescope model.
- On your tissue/tracing paper, draw a circle by measuring around the biggest end of the telescope.
- Paint the whole telescope brown and leave to dry.
- While this is drying, draw a desert island scene in the circle on your paper. Cut out 1cm around the circle and then cut little darts in the excess paper so that you can tape it to the base of the telescope.
- Put another piece of tape around the smaller end of the telescope and paint both pieces of tape gold.
And you’re done! Arrrrr!! You will see why we used thin paper for the island picture when you hold your telescope up to the light and look through it 😉